The evil Sigma waged a war of fury on Earth in an attempt to annihilate the human race. Megaman X8 begins after the fall out of this devastating battle. The planet earth has been ravaged and the remaining humans are forced to look for a new home. In an effort to rebuild human civilisation as it was once known; a new generation of robot Reploids has been built by the earth’s people in order to ready the moon for colonisation. This new group possessed advanced capabilities; including the ability to copy other Reploids. Unfortunately; Sigma has corrupted them with his sinister DNA mark in an attempt to make them turn on humans. Now Megaman X Zero and Axl must head to the moon for an outer space mission to defeat the enemy and save mankind.
Megaman X8 provides a greater degree of freedom and variety than ever before. Players are able to complete the stages in any order and as often as they like. Each area is designed to help build and acquire skills that will be used to advance through the game. Players must successfully jump attack and utilise new weapons to open up additional areas and conquer each challenge. Twelve stages provide vast variety in gameplay and settings from 3D depth-scrolling space stations to side-scrolling lunar colonies and even vehicle based missions each with their own objectives. Replay is encouraged through ‘intermission’ sub quests that provide different objectives for already-cleared stages to provide added depth and help players hone skills.
- Three playable characters with varying strengths and special abilities: Megaman X – Equipped with his trusty charge shot Zero – A master of short range attacks with the ability to double jump Axl – Armed with a spread shot weapon and hovering skills
- Enhanced tag team action
- Switch between two characters at any time to effectively defeat enemies
- Rescue change – Standby character can provide backup support when the main character is caught in enemy clutches
- Double attack – Attack enemies to fill up a special gauge and unleash a powerful two-player simultaneous attack!
- Recovery gauge – Health gauges for standby characters refill according to how well the main character performs in battle
- Combo counter – Recovery items are only available when dropped by enemies; defeating multiple enemies in a row will increase the combo counter and the rate at which enemies drop these special items
- Three Navigator types – Pick a Navigator at the beginning of a stage; each offers a stage strategy an enemy strategy or story supplements
- Collect ‘metal’ from defeated enemies – Use as building blocks for valuable power-up chips
- Ability to use weapons obtained from defeated bosses
- Multiple story endings and hidden items